After breakfast, we went into the hall expecting the final inspiring session in SOLIDWORKS World 2015. This time it was Mr. Jinsop Lee, Chief Globalization Office at a lighting company called Linno.
He began with some brief self introduction on his childhood where he lived in 5 different country before staying in America now. His passion on building up model toy, then assemble and color them pieces by pieces has actually made him realize that he enjoys the process rather than the result. He is inspired and eventually he came out with a theory – 5 senses based design theory that made him one of the winners of TED Global Talent Global Search 2012.
According to the theory everything that we did could be evaluated by our senses: sight, touch, smell, sound and taste. So, are you curious now?
What you need to do is to sketch out the graph like the picture below, then rate each senses from scale of 1-10 when performing certain activity. As an example, Jinsop had shared his bike riding experience applying the 5-senses theory through a video recording of that experience.
Of course, the perfect experience would be something like this. But what activity is the best experience?
Now how does this relate to SOLIDWORKS? As a product designer himself, Jinsop uses SOLIDWORKS and he anticipate that SOLIDWORKS will eventually develop and grow to include more senses in the future. With more senses stimulated, it will result in better product design experience, exactly like how we enjoy watching movie in cinema (the stunning audiovisual, the cozy environment, the audience that shares the same emotion as you etc).
Next, we had a very inspiring story about Mr. Seffi Udi. He was paralyzed from neck down due to an accident, at that point he had to choose to give up or continue living. Luckily, he is a kind man with a strong will that he is certain how to live the rest of his life to the fullest. He was introduced to SOLIDWORKS by his employer and since then he loves it and uses it to design and create things he uses daily such as his wheel chair, micro mouse buttons. He even uses SOLIDWORKS to design the layout of his home to perfectly suit his maneuver.
It’s truly amazing and inspiring that Mr. Seffi can design innovative products with SOLIDWORKS by using only his tongue. He deserves our standing ovation for his spirit that inspire everyone to never give up no matter what situation we are in.
In addition to the inspiring story, we had our ever-present design challenge – The Model Mania. Do you know that Model Mania has been introduced for 16 years? These are the model mania “family member”, have you challenged any of them?
With no exception, SOLIDWORKS WORLD 2015 has the SOLIDWORKS Model Mania challenge too. The winner of Model Mania had won a tablet sponsored by NVIDIA. He took 12 minutes 21 seconds to create, modify and simulate the model! That’s impressive!
Everyone please try beating his time in our coming Innovation Day 2015 in October!
On the other hand, here is the Top 10 Enhancement Requests in 2014 voted by SOLIDWORKS community!
- Support Zero Thickness Geometry
- Bidirectional Sweep
- Export Sheet Metal Part in Assembly to dxf/dwg in Flat State
- Flexible Selection List Box Size
- Display the Exact Item Causing the Error
- Ability to Make the Inferred Relations Permanent in Sketch
- Selecting Inner Loop on a Selected Face
- Both Direction Pattern
- Topology Optimization from Tosca for all Engineers
- Variable Pull Direction Draft
It’s true that SOLIDWORKS listens to user community and this is how they enhance the software progressively every year. Furthermore, they did an exclusive preview on SOLIDWORKS 2016 for us! Yes, you read that right, SOLIDWORKS 2016!
Here is the partial list of the exciting new features that you could expect in SOLIDWORKS 2016.
- Hide/Show Default Planes
- Auto Select Midpoint
- Asymmetric Fillets
- Two Direction Sweep
- Mate Controller
- Rename Part in SOLIDWORKS
- Photoview 360 Proof Sheet
- Menu Breadcrumbs
- Favorites folder in Toolbox
Be sure to catch these features LIVE in our Innovation Day in October!
To wrap up,
Ten things that we experienced in #SWW15:
- Phoenix City is a cool “desert” and it is extraordinary quiet besides working days.
- Everyone is a sprint master in SOLIDWORKS World in order to get the best seat.
- There are total 2.8 million SOLIDWORKS users worldwide that is larger than Kuala Lumpur population.
- Innovation is not just about to create new things, but to create for the future.
- Age of Digitalization of Life in 3D is coming in next decades.
- Innovative company helps company to be innovative.
- Engineering needs MORE Girls & Women!
- Design with Sense; Sense with Design
- Consumer buy product + EXPERIENCE
- SOLIDWORKS = Multi-Solutions
Till then, we will go to DALLAS next year! (31st Jan – 3rd Feb 2016)
Hope to see you there!
Khor FW & Ken Foong